On to a Plan Of Action! Right, basically this blog post is a sum of of where I am with the project, what I need to do and further design points. There’s three main points that I want to get straight (mainly within my own head, which helps by posting a written piece) –
- Box Design
I’ve been working on a list of articles for a while now, and was pretty set on them before the snow hit Britain. Now I’m considering to change it around a bit and work on a Winters addition to my magazine. I possibly will still do some of the articles I planned on doing, but more as an example of what other issues would contain. It’s led me to think this magazine will have 4 annual issues, summer, spring, autumn and winter – and the example magazine that I will take to print will be the winter issue (however this is still just an idea).
Over the next few weeks I will be posting page ideas as separate blog posts, rather than creating a huge blog post now that’s cluttered and difficult to follow, so look out for that. They’ll contain example images and text, all of which will be written and photographed/designed by myself (unless otherwise stated).
I’m not going to bluff, I’m quite uneducated in the way of binding. However, I’ve known in my head how I wanted it to look since quite early on in the project, but knowing how to word this is probably where I begin to go wrong… After researching, perfect bound is what I believe I want, it’s the neatness of this binding that always attracts me to magazines that use it. The photograph below is one I took as an example of this binding method.
There are two differences between what I plan to do and the above example. The first, mine will have fewrer pages, so I will have to definitely do a test magazine to see if it does work. Secondly, I will be double side printing all my sheets to size (without the fold) and then gluing them into the edge. (Luckily there’s another image below to show an example of this!)
3. Box Design
I posted a idea on my box design last month (link here) to incorporated an ecological theme to my magazine. Since then I’ve advanced this idea to the design pictured below. I’ve done a few test samples of the home-made paper with cress but will post about that on a later date. (Sorry about the poor image quality below, it was too big for my scanner!)
The main change to the design is it’s now a narrow box, with the base containing the home-made paper and cress seeds. When watered it’ll grow from the base, where the magazine was previously snugly fitted. A new advantage of the design is it’s transportation and display will be much cleaner, and some sort of ‘blurb’ could be added to one of the side.
One last thing, I’m still not sure on the size of the book. I know it’ll be smaller than A4 but I’m unsure whether it’ll be vertical, horizontal or a square. I’m not too worried about this at the moment because I want to get a lot of my content sorted before I put it all together and decide on formats and styling.
Well, that’s all for now! It’s taken me two days to get all this together, and I feel it’ll bring me great progress over the next week.